Fitness Tips & Advice

Untitled

Why Carbohydrates are important 

🔴𝘛𝘏𝘌 𝘐𝘔𝘗𝘖𝘙𝘛𝘈𝘕𝘊𝘌 𝘖𝘍... 𝘾𝘼𝙍𝘽𝙊𝙃𝙔𝘿𝙍𝘼𝙏𝙀𝙎!

🍞 🍌 🥯 🍠 🍚 🍇 🍝 🍎 

So we want to talk to you about why all food groups are vital to your health and today, it’s the turn of the amazing energy source....the incredible Carb!!


And we’re not talking about the nasty evil white simple carbs (like white breads, white pastas, processed carbs in biscuits etc) 

It’s the COMPLEX CARBS that our bodies need!


Complex carbs provide us with energy and are packed with more nutrients than the simple carbs!

They're higher in fiber and digest more slowly, therefore releasing energy slowly. This also makes them more filling and you stay fuller for longer, which means they're a good option for weight control. Complex carbs are also better for those with They're also ideal for people with type II diabetes, because they help manage blood sugar spikes after eating!


COMPLEX CARBS:

Brown bread 🍞 

Brown pasta🍝 

Brown rice 🍚 

Porridge oats 🥣 

Peas 

Vegetables🫑🥦🥕

Fruits 🫐🍉🍐🍊

Grains 

Beans 


SO GET YOUR CARB ENERGY BOOST ON!!

Untitled

Why Protein is important 

🔴𝘛𝘏𝘌 𝘐𝘔𝘗𝘖𝘙𝘛𝘈𝘕𝘊𝘌 𝘖𝘍...

𝗣𝗥𝗢𝗧𝗘𝗜𝗡!

🥚🥦🥓 🐠 🍳🥬🧀🍗🥜🍖

So we want to talk to you about why all food groups are vital to your health and today, it’s the turn of the amazing energy source....the 𝙎𝙐𝙋𝙀𝙍-𝙋𝙊𝙒𝙀𝙍𝙀𝘿𝙋𝙍𝙊𝙏𝙀𝙄𝙉!!


Protein is vital to maintaining a healthy body and the word Protein actually originates from the Greek word PROTEOS which means PRIMARY or FIRST


Made from long chains of of amino acids (like a string of beads) and the 20 different aminos make up the thousands of different proteins in the human body, each doing different jobs.


▪️GROWTH, REPAIR & MAINTENANCE

▪️PROVIDES ENERGY

▪️ACTS AS MESSENGER HORMONES

▪️CELL SUPPORT AND SUBSTANCE

▪️MAINTAINS pH BALANCE

▪️BOOSTS IMMUNE SYSTEM

▪️STORES NUTRIENTS


PROTEIN SOURCES INCLUDE

➖Lean Meats 🍗

➖Fish 🐠

➖Eggs 🥚

➖Nuts 🥜

➖Oats 🥣

➖Tofu 

➖Cheese 🧀

➖Milk 🥛

➖Yogurt 🥣

➖Broccoli 🥦

➖Leafy Green Veg 🥬


SO GIVE YOUR BODY A SUPER POWER PROTEIN BOOST

Untitled

Kick Start your time for change!

⚫️ 🅺🅸🅲🅺 🆂🆃🅰🆁🆃 🆈🅾🆄🆁 🆃🅸🅼🅴 🆃🅾 🅲🅷🅰🅽🅶🅴!


The human body is a funny old thing! 

It likes to keep things balanced!

It hates change & attempts to avoid it at all costs, even if the change is in it's best interest; all it understands is something has changed, something is different, which means it must be wrong, because it's not the norm, it doesn't understand it and will fight to maintain what it's accustomed to!


eg 1/ Giving up smoking.


Firstly, if you're giving up these nasty toxic sticks of poison.....well done!!!

As a smoker, your body will have been given a regular supply of Nicotine, Carbon Monoxide, tar and a whole other cocktail of chemicals.

During your time smoking, your body will have re-educated itself to function and even enjoy the chain of unnatural reactions caused by these chemicals.....it becomes 'normal' to the body - it becomes addicted!

So, when a smoker makes the great decision to give up, the biggest problem faced is the body's response to the removal of these chemicals.

 If the body of a smoker doesn't get the nicotine and chemical fix it has become accustomed to, it feels off balance, out of sync and it doesn't know what to do, so it sends out stress hormones  and even though it's better for the body not to smoke,  the body just wants things 'back to normal', regular and consistent again!

But over time the body will rebalance itself and function without these chemicals and begin to function more efficiently and the desire and cravings will subside.


eg 2/ Cutting out processed sugars and fats (trans-fats)


All those that have completed one of our online Eat Clean plans will tell you that the first 2 weeks are always the most difficult!

Largely because when they begin to eat clean and all the nasty additives and sugars are removed from their diet, they can experience a range of 'cold turkey' side effects such as head aches, dry mouths, strange dreams, disrupted sleep patterns, skin outbreaks, mood swings and more.

These are yet again further examples of how our bodies respond to the changes and it's dislike to these alterations! But again, once these initial weeks have passed, and the toxins that have built up in the body begin to reduce, and the body realises that it is functioning at more optimal level; the hormones begin to balance, the brain becomes 'brighter' and retains information more easily, the skin, hair and nails become stronger, the immune system is strengthened, energy levels are raised, and mental health is improved to name just a few of the benefits.


eg 3/ Exercise


You may find you experience similar side effects when you start exercising; if your body is not accustomed to being active, you may feel nauseas for the first few times you exert yourself! You may experience dizziness, or see sparkly lights, your brain will start screaming at you to stop!

This is NOTHING to worry about, it is simply the body is saying "What the hell is this???? I want to be on the sofa where I'm happy and the place I'm used to" 

But don't give up, and don't let that put you off! Eventually your body will give in and realise that it functions much better and more efficiently with the right nutrition and exercise.

When you exercise, your body releases a range of chemicals such as Serotonin & Dopamine, which are produced in the brain, improving our mood and protecting us against mental health disorders. Serotonin, which is produced by long-term cardio exercise, is clinal proven to decrease depression, while Dopamine improves your mood and long-term memory, stimulating highly pleasurable feelings and emotions.


Your body will become addicted to the 'happy' hormones your brain releases after and during exercising; you'll become stronger, the heart and cardiovascular systems will function more efficiently, you'll benefit from a heightened metabolic rate and you'll feel like a new person 😊


On average, the body takes around 2-3 weeks to 'reboot' and rebalance itself, and by week 6, it will be totally settled and it will all become second nature and your body won't fight back any longer as it won't know any different! It will have become the NEW NORM!! 


BECAUSE YOU WILL HAVE KICK STARTED YOUR FITNESS REVOLUTION!

Untitled

Run Safe - Run Happy!

RUN SAFE...top tips for ladies!!


We all know how good it feels to chart our run, watching our improvements and sharing it with the world via social media!!


But in this day and age, it’s vital that we stay safe!!


You may have taken all the obvious steps to stay safe; high Vis clothing, head torch etc....but have you ever stopped to think about your last running post on Social Media!!


SO LADIES.....if you do post your achievements (and rightfully so!) please ensure you either delete/block out the Road names or ensure you take a different route each time you run!


If you’re publicising your regular route online, you are making yourself a potential target!!


SO, RUN HAPPY, RUN SMART AND RUN SAFE!!

Untitled

Terrific Testosterone - One for the lads

𝗧𝗘𝗥𝗥𝗜𝗙𝗜𝗖 𝗧𝗘𝗦𝗧𝗢𝗦𝗧𝗘𝗥𝗢𝗡𝗘 .....𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲’𝘀 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗹𝗮𝗱𝘀!


And no, we're not talking bikini clad lovelies!! 


This is Testosterone explained....Steroids NOT included!! 


Testosterone -  the lovely hormone primarily responsible for building muscle mass!!  


People want to believe in a magic supplement for this juicy male hormone, unfortunately there isn’t one, it's all down to you, how you look after your body and your discipline.... 


The truth of the matter, to boost testosterone, you need a combination of living life like a caveman mixed with living like a part time monk..... 

So here’s our top tips on building muscle mass by utilising this great natural hormone!


> Get lots of sleep with the natural daily cycle-  we recommend aiming to sleep 22:00-06:00 (a la Beast Mode; rise with the sun, sleep with the moon)


> Eat lots of protein packed foods such as meat, eggs, nuts, beans, dairy and good fats.....natural foods like one that you’ve just hunted, picked or gathered! (these good fats and proteins provide the building blocks to build testosterone and muscle mass) 


 > Eat lots of whole natural foods (meat, good fats,  fish, vegetables, fruit, sweet potatoes, dairy)


> Train big!!! Focus on a mix of compound resistance training, targeted exercises and weight lifting specific to your goals, with some sprinting, running, jumping, throwing stuff and playing.....pretty much what we do here at BC Rev! 

> Avoiding binging on alcohol as this flatlines testosterone for up to 2 days after drinking, but you can enjoy the odd glass of red wine which relaxes the body and mind and provides rich anti-oxidants! 

> ALWAYS Ensure water intake is high, so for most men around 2.5-3 litres a day, avoid coffee after 4pm (this releases cortisol - the stress hormone, which fights against testosterone in the body, so try to keep it low) 

> Rest and relax where possible - stress will limit your body's ability to produce testosterone!  

> And the bit we think you might like the most..... have lots of sex!!!! (we dont think this bit needs any further explanation....you know!)

And girls..... you have a low level of testosterone in your body, this is the reason you won't 'bulk up' like men do...so when you say "I don't want to be really muscly?!"  You won't be.....unless of course you start taking testosterone!! ;)  

Untitled

What to wear: Winter Training

WINTER WEAR


With the winter creating closer, here’s our top tips on what to wear when training at BC Rev outdoor sessions.


Even in the cold, outdoor exercise will cause to sweat, so layer your clothes in a way that allows you to start off warm and remove clothing as needed.

1: Base Layer: Start with polypropylene (a “moisture-wicking” fabric unlike materials like cotton, which absorb sweat, polypropylene helps sweat evaporate quickly)


2: Mid Layer: Ventilation - Cover your base, wicking layer with an item for insulation but with ample ventilated openings to regulate body temperature in cold weather, something with zips and/or mesh sides. 


3: Outer Layer: Water proof shell such as a nylon jacket or Gore-Tex waterproof jacket is an ideal top layer to ensure you stay dry!


4: Protect your extremities - good gloves, and thermal socks, a hat, and a snood for really cold snaps are idea. Make sure your trainers have a good non slip sole designed for outdoor/cross country style training to ensure you stay safe through our your training sessions!

Untitled

Reasons to take your workout OUTDOORS!

BC REV’S REASONS TO TAKE YOUR WORKOUT OUTDOORS!! 


❌ REASON #1

>  Getting active in the fresh air actually burns more kcals, as it gives a higher resistance due to gravity, ground reaction forces and the elements including wind, heat and cold! Take in to account the varied terrain and you're well and truly on to a winning formula!


❌ REASON #2

> Because of the varied terrain and all the other reasons above, our bodies have to use more muscles and as a result, you burn more kcals and achieve a higher fat burning capacity!


❌ REASON #3

> Exercising outside also increases your vitamin D absorption due to the natural sunlight! Plus the added benefits of  fresh air, freedom of movement and being at one with nature is so much more preferable to your body.


❌ REASONS #4

> As Early man and women, we would have been out, hunting and chasing our food, bashing it over the head and dragging it home ..... essentially what we encourage you to do at Bootcamp Revolution!! Ok, it's not food, but we think tyres are a damn good substitute - so where abouts did a gym based, repetitive exercise like a bicep curl come in to Neanderthal daily life?! 


❌ REASON #5

> When exercising at BC Rev, you're performing functional movements that you will perform in every day life situations so gain greater benefits! So why not strengthen those muscles in a way that you would in every day life!!


❌ REASON #6

> IT'S MORE FUN!! There's no escaping it! So tap in to your inner child and get dirty!


❌ REASON #7

> Exercising as part of a group in a bootcamp session or with friends has so many benefits: obviously there's the social aspect but there's also the fact that you work harder, increase your endurance beyond your perceived limitations and an hour seems to fly by a lot faster due to the encouragement you receive from your co-campers! You walk away from a session feeling happier, more motivated and with a whole bunch of new mates!! Win Win!! 🙂


SO TAKE YOUR WORKOUT OUTDOORS.....And WITNESS YOUR FITNESS!!

Untitled

Strong Core - Strong Body

𝙎𝙏𝙍𝙊𝙉𝙂 𝘾𝙊𝙍𝙀.....𝙎𝙏𝙍𝙊𝙉𝙂 𝘽𝙊𝘿𝙔!


Your core is the centre of your personal universe...and with a strong core, the rest of your muscular and skeletal system is supported.

You are more stabilised, your posture is improved, your spinal structure is supported by a complex network of strong, multidirectional muscles that enable you to twist and turn, freely and safely.


By incorporating core exercises in to your daily routine,  you can help your whole body feel stronger, more stabilised and healthier!



HERE’S JUST A FEW OF THE BENEFITS OF A STRONG CORE!


Stabilize lower back. When you train your core, your lower back also gets stronger and healthier!

For runners, and strong core is vital for creating a powerful centre point and enhanced mobility and speed 

Improved flexibility and agility

Better balance and coordination

Improved posture

Allows every day activities to be performed with ease, without the risk of back injury

Untitled

Why we LOVE slam balls

One of our favourite bits of kit to use for our workouts is....the BRILLIANT BALL! 


Whether that’s slam balls, med balls, or atlas balls…these bad boys are super versatile and we love them….so do our clients! (Check them out in the video below demonstrating just a few of the exercises!)


THE FABULOUS FUNCTIONAL FITNESS TOOL!


~ All-In-One Total Body Conditioning Tool.

~ Improves Coordination 

~ Great mobility promoter

~ increased muscle density.

~ higher resting metabolism.

~ faster glucose metabolism.

~ increased athletic performance.

~ higher aerobic capacity.

~ stronger maximum muscle limits.

~ enhanced mental clarity

~ improved heart health.

~ Builds Lean Muscle.


These are some of our favourite exercises with a slamball!

Front slam

Over head throw

Wall ball

Ball chuck

Hands on press-ups

Hands on tuck ins

Plank ball pass 


Slamballs challenge your strength, cardio, coordination, stamina, core, agility and more

What’s not to love!